History of St Chad’s Church in Wybunbury

The original St Chad’s Church was adjacent to the existing tower and is thought to date back to the 15th Century. There have been many churches on this site but due to unstable ground, each has had to be demolished and the tower of the fifteen century church is all that now remains.Church warden accounts reveal that five churches have become unsafe and had been demolished in 1595,1793,1833,1892 and 1977.

Civil Engineering surveys of the site in 1891 and again in 1976 recommended that the church not be rebuilt on this site because the area was unstable and could not support a  building

The decision was taken to rebuild the church on a new site.The current church was built in 1978.The interior of the new church includes some stone from the old church and eight of the the stained glass windows are used in the entrance.The original rood screen is behind the altar and the Delves brasses dated back to 1513 representing Rafe Delves of Doddington and his wife Katherin Rafe have been preserved and are mounted on the wall adjacent to the altar.


The church tower which dates back to the 15th Century was saved from demolition and has been restored and made stable, thanks to the efforts of The Wybunbury Tower Preservation Trust.

wybunburytower.org